Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 22

I just came back from my third checkup today and things are apparently progressing very well.

For a short recap of relevant events, about a week ago I started experiencing the "ghosting" effect that everyone at the eye clinic warned me about. For me it was more like double vision; I would see some text (say, a sign) and right above that text would be a pretty clear, relatively solid copy of that text. Both eyes experienced this, but it was more severe for the left eye than the right eye. I asked the technician who was helping me why it happened and he explained that some slight astigmatism can occur while healing progresses.


Other than that, I've had relatively little pain as healing has occurred. A few times, I've woken up with that terrible feeling like my epithelium had started healing to my eyelid and opening my eye felt, at first, like ripping skin and then like burning onions. But this was likely also because of dryness since I'm moving from using Flarex, an anti-inflammatory drop, four times a day to two times a day. Lessening the Flarex use is also apparently important because the drops tend to thin out the layers of re-growing epithelium, so Dr. Manche also told me that healing should progress much faster as I slow and eventually stop using these specific drops altogether.

At the moment, I'm seeing at around 20/30 in both eyes, though my left eye is still lagging behind my right in terms of healing. As Dr. Manche explained, there are five layers of epithelium that need to be healed and each takes around 6-8 days to do so, but since they grow towards the middle of the eye from the sides of the abrasion that is made during the procedure, when they meed in the middle there tends to be some wrinkling or buckling (the example he used is like the meeting of tectonic plates). I was told that these deformities will correct themselves once the epithelium layers are completely healed, so during those days I'll be able to see marked changes in the clarity of my vision from day to day.

Other than this, there doesn't seem to be any news to report! No dryness, except once or twice. No more pain. My vision is already good enough to drive and getting better day by day. Hopefully things continue to progress quickly and positively!

No comments:

Post a Comment