Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day Three

I woke up today because of the "pain" in my eyes, although it wasn't excruciating as I thought it would be. Instead, the sensation is persistently annoying and absolutely comparable to the feeling you get when cutting onions, except that blinking doesn't make it go away. I took a Vicodin and it seemed to make even the sensation go away enough that I'm on a computer typing this entry up right now.

Although I prepared for severe light sensitivity by putting up temporary curtains, the light of my slightly dimmed computer screen or the not-dimmed television screen doesn't irritate my eyes. At first, when I woke up because of the onion-eyes feeling, the bright sun bursting through the windows was terrible, but that could also be just because I woke up and then stared directly outside. Mild artificial light in the room felt fine as well, and so, just to test, I opened one of my blinds to let natural light in and only after about half an hour to an hour later did the light begin irritating my eyes enough that I needed to close them.

Hopefully, as this is supposed to be the worst day by other accounts, this is as bad as it gets because, really, it's not bad at all. By about 10pm I've slept most of the day (Vicodin plus a student's regular amount of sleep debt around thesis time made this easy). Dr. Manche did warn me that the blurriness I'm experiencing is going to increase in the next few days and if this is the extent of the pain, I know what it is that I'll be more irritated by (blurriness after a few days of good vision? Gah!).

Overall, today felt like a 5 out of 10 max on a ten point pain scale, and only at the points where I had that persistent onion fumes feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment